Sunday, March 05, 2006

Taking something up for Lent

Traditionally Christians give up something during Lent, the time which represents the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert before commencing His main ministry. It's usually something they find enjoyable and usually a 'vice', for example, chocolate, biscuits or caffeine. This year I'm giving up alcohol - not because I'm addicted to it (I hope!), but more because I want to concentrate my mind on God and not be reliant on anything worldly. Consider it a kind of purifying process.

However, I think more important than giving up booze, I'm also trying to spend more time with God, trying to listen to His voice amidst the clamour of the world, and together with Lorna, trying to focus on making our marriage more God centred. I think that positive steps like this are much more important than the giving up of our habits - and hopefully honouring to God, which after all is the whole point of our being.